Sunday 4 March 2012

Best Episode of The Simpsons? Season 4: Whacking Day

In an attempt to get completely up-to-date on one of my favourite TV-series The Simpsons, after I watch each season, I will choose my favourite episode...

Well, you won't see many of these posts any more. I am currently mid-season 5 and slowing down with episode-viewing. At any rate, having recently watched all of season four, I can safely say my favourite episode is 'Whacking Day'.

Funnily enough, Sarah and I didn't feel that Season 4 was as strong as the previous three seasons. Maybe we had watched too many, maybe we simply seek something different from The Simpsons, but reading articles revolving around the 500th episode, many critics claim their favourite episodes are within season four. Namely 'Marge VS the Monorail' and 'Homer the Heretic'. I know, prior to rewatching 'Whacking Day', I considered 'Brother from the Same Planet', but ultimately settled on' Whacking Day' for the pure surrealist element in the celebration - to act like Jebediah, residents of Springfield chase snakes (???) into the centre of town and 'whack' them to death.

Barry White is the cameo role - purely for his deep voice as it apparently lures the snakes away from the centre and two safety at The Simpsons house. I think I'm right in saying that the training-sequence as Homer smashes the wooden-snakes is from Enter The Dragon, but I could be wrong. One of the best parodies is an Itchy and Scratchy episode 'directed by Oliver Stone' whereby the episode pokes fun at his film JFK. The very idea of Itchy and Scratchy suddenly in prestige-picture mode was laugh-out-loud funny.

A brilliant episode with such a strange event taking place - by the time Barry is singing "Can't get enough of your love..." it feels like you are cheering the snakes on - willing them to win.

Large Association of Movie Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.